Edge VM enables self-service cost management with your virtual machines and associated networks. After you provision a virtual machine, your account automatically enters a pay-as-you-go model granting you the ability to provision and delete virtual machines on-demand as your budget and business needs change. You can also enter into a term-based billing contract with discounts. To learn more about term-based billing, contact your Lumen account specialist.
Billing starts after you successfully provision a virtual machine. You are billed based on the configuration selections made for each virtual machine instance created. You are invoiced monthly, in arrears, for your total Edge Services billable charges for active services during that billing period.
The power states and applicable billing for a virtual machine are as follows:
- Provisioning a virtual machine: starts billing.
- On/Running: continuously bills at the hourly rate based on the server configuration and applicable services tied to the virtual machine.
- Stop: stops the virtual machine but doesn't stop billing.
- Deleting a virtual machine: ends billing for that virtual machine.
Lumen charges for deleted virtual machines based on the configuration, network charges, and other applicable services tied to the server during the up time of the server during a billing cycle.
For current features, pricing estimates, and supported currencies, use the Edge Price Estimator.
Provisioning a virtual machine has the following cost factors:
- Location: the hourly cost for a virtual machine varies by location. Use the Edge Price Estimator to calculate hourly prices per location.
- Edge VM server configurations: the hourly cost for a virtual machine varies by the configuration type. Use the Edge Price Estimator to view the hourly price per configuration type.
- Edge VM operating system (OS): the licensing cost for a virtual machine varies by the operating system type and version. Use the Edge Price Estimator to view licensing cost per OS type. Commercial OSs are billed as a monthly reoccuring charge with no proration. Commercial OSs can only be terminated by deleting the associated virtual machine. Any additional costs for OS licensing are available within the Edge Services portal when ordering the service.
- Network type: the cost for a virtual machine varies by network type and usage. View network charges in both the Edge Price Estimator and within the Edge Services portal.