Edge Bare Metal allows you the benefit of self-service management of costs associated with your bare metal servers. You are automatically entered into a pay-as-you go model that allows the flexibility to provision or delete servers on-demand, as your budget and business needs change. You can also enter into a term-based billing contract with spend discounting. To learn more about term-commit options, contact your Lumen account specialist.
Billing starts once a bare metal server has been successfully provisioned. You are billed based on the configuration selections outlined above for each bare metal server instance created. You will be invoiced monthly, in arrears, for your total Edge Services billable charges for active services during that billing period.
The power states and applicable billing for an Edge Bare Metal server are as follows:
- Provision a bare metal server: starts billing.
- On/Running: continuously bills at the hourly rate based on the server configuration and applicable services tied to the server.
- Stop: Stops the server but doesn't stop billing.
- Delete a bare metal server: ends billing for that server.
Lumen charges for deleted servers based on the configuration, network charges, and other applicable services tied to the server during the up time of the server during a billing cycle.
For current features, pricing estimates, and supported currencies, visit the Edge Price Estimator.
Provisioning a bare metal server has multiple cost factors which are outlined below:
- Location: the hourly cost for a bare metal server can vary by location. Use the Edge Price Estimator to see the various hourly prices per location.
- Bare metal server configurations: the hourly cost for a bare metal server can vary by the configuration type. Use the Edge Price Estimator to see the various hourly price per configuration type.
- Bare metal operating system: the licensing cost for a bare metal server can vary by the operating system type and version. Use the Edge Price Estimator to see the various licensing cost per OS type. Currently, we offer only free, open-source operating systems, but will be adding more operating systems in future releases.
- Network type: the cost for a bare metal server can vary by network type and usage. Currently, we only offer public internet, but will be adding more network types in future releases.