Edge Bare Metal enables self-service cost management with your bare metal servers and associated networks. After you provision a bare metal server, your account automatically enters a pay-as-you-go model granting you the ability to provision and delete bare metal servers on-demand as your budget and business needs change. You can also enter into a term-based billing contract with discounts. To learn more about term-based billing, contact your Lumen account specialist.
Billing starts after you successfully provision a bare metal. You are billed based on the configuration selections made for each bare metal server instance created. You are invoiced monthly, in arrears, for your total Edge Services billable charges for active services during that billing period.
The power states and applicable billing for a bare metal server are as follows:
- Provision a bare metal server: starts billing.
- On/Running: continuously bills at the hourly rate based on the server configuration and applicable services tied to the server.
- Stop: Stops the server but doesn't stop billing.
- Delete a bare metal server: ends billing for that server.
Lumen charges for deleted bare metal servers based on the configuration, network charges, and other applicable services tied to the server during the up time of the server during a billing cycle.
For current features, pricing estimates, and supported currencies, visit the Edge Price Estimator.
Provisioning a bare metal server has the following cost:
- Location: the hourly cost for a bare metal server varies by location. Use the Edge Price Estimator to calculate hourly prices per location.
- Bare metal server configurations: the hourly cost for a bare metal server varies by the configuration type. Use the Edge Price Estimator to view the hourly price per configuration type.
- Bare metal operating system (OS): the licensing cost for a bare metal server varies by the operating system type and version. Use the Edge Price Estimator to view licensing cost per OS type. Commercial OSs are billed as a monthly reoccuring charge with no proration. Commercial OSs can only be terminated by deleting the associated bare metal server. Any additional costs for OS licensing are available within the Edge Services portal when ordering the service.
- Network type: the cost for a bare metal server varies by network type and usage. View network charges in both the Edge Price Estimator and within the Edge Services portal.